What is Wi-Fi Calling?
Wi-Fi Calling lets you expand your mobile coverage in locations across Canada where you may not have cell reception. When your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network, you’ll be able to make and receive calls, as well as send and receive text and picture messages – just like you normally would.
Where will I be able to use Wi-Fi Calling?
You will be able to use Wi-Fi Calling in any location in Canada that is out of cellular coverage and has a Wi-Fi network you can connect to. These places include basements, in buildings, underground, hospitals, warehouses and stores. Since you may experience weak cell reception in these areas, Wi-Fi Calling will allow you to use your phone in a Wi-Fi connected area as if you were still connected to a mobile network.
Note: Call quality is based on the strength of the Wi-Fi connection. For the best quality, establish a connection with your mobile network.
What do I need in order to use Wi-Fi Calling?
To use Wi-Fi calling, you will need:
- iPhone 5s and all newer models (including SE)
- Watch Series 3, Series 4, Series 5
- BlackBerry KEY2
- Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL
- Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL
- Pixel 4, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4 XL
- Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5
- G6, G7ThinQ, G8ThinQ, G8XThinQ
- K31, K41S, K61
- Q6, Q60, Q70, Q Stylo+, V60 ThinQ 5G
- Velvet 5G
- X Power 2, X Power 3
- G Fast
- G7 Play
- One 5G Ace
- One Hyper
- One Vision
- Moto E
- Galaxy S8 and all newer models
- Galaxy Note8 and all newer models
- Galaxy A8, A10e, A11, A12, A20, A21, A32 5G, A50, A51, A52 5G, A70, A71
- Galaxy J3 (2018)
- Galaxy Z Flip, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip 3 5G
- Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G
- Galaxy Watch Active2, Watch 4*, Watch 4 Classic*
- TCL 10L, TCL 10 Pro, TCL 20S, TCL 20 Pro 5G
- P30 Pro
- P40 Pro
How do I use Wi-Fi calling?
Wi-Fi Calling is a setting that is available on compatible smartphones. You will not need to download any additional applications.
Visit our Support page for instructions to activate Wi-Fi Calling.
How much does it cost?
There is no additional cost for using Wi-Fi Calling on your phone. Your Wi-Fi Calling usage will be included as part of the unlimited nationwide calling on eligible rate plans.Note:
- Wi-Fi calling is only available within Canada.
- Wi-Fi calls to locations outside of Canada will incur standard long distance charges.
- Internet usage consumed by Wi-Fi Calling will be managed by the Internet Service Provider that your phone is connected to.
- Additional charges may apply for Internet usage.
What else do I need to know?
- Calls must start and finish within the Wi-Fi network you connect to. If you leave a Wi-Fi zone during a call, the call will terminate. Similarly, if you start your call on the cellular network and enter a Wi-Fi only zone, your call will terminate.
- Certain short code phone numbers are not supported while using Wi-Fi Calling – they are 211, 311, 511, 711, 811, and any text numbers that include the use of *, ** and #.
- Wi-Fi Calling is not compatible with any service that requires access to your location. For example, #TAXI will not work while connected to a Wi-Fi network as it needs to know your exact location to automatically dispatch a driver.
- Emergency services cannot track your location when calling 9-1-1 over Wi-Fi. If you are unable to communicate, they will send help to the address listed in your phone settings. It’s important to keep this address up to date.