1. What is required to set up the Smartwatch plan with NumberShare™ on my Apple Watch smartwatch?
- An Apple Watch smartwatch with cellular connectivity.
- A Bell Mobility postpaid account (consumer or small business) with a compatible plan and data.
- An iPhone 6 or higher. The phone must be operating on iOS 12 or higher.
- A MyBell profile associated with the primary iPhone number. Register for MyBell if you haven’t already done so.
2. What is an eSIM?
An eSIM is a small, built-in SIM card. This means there is no need to insert or remove a physical SIM card.
3. Can I use the Apple Watch smartwatch across Canada?
The Apple Watch smartwatch works in any VoLTE-covered region in Canada. We have VoLTE coverage in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Québec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, P.E.I., Newfoundland and Labrador, Nunavut, Yukon and Northwest Territories. Learn more about VoLTE.
4. Can I use cellular services on my Apple Watch smartwatch outside of Canada?
No, currently you cannot roam with your Apple Watch smartwatch. You can continue to use your smartwatch with Bluetooth enabled while travelling to make and receive calls, and send and receive text messages. Your smartphone will also continue to function as normal. Learn more about travelling with your smartphone.
5. Do my iPhone and Apple Watch smartwatch need to be near each other for calls, text messages, iMessages and email?
No, they do not. If you have activated a Smartwatch plan with NumberShare with your Apple Watch smartwatch, you can use it independently, even if your iPhone is in a different location. Your iPhone must be turned on in order for your Apple Watch smartwatch to send or receive text messages, iMessages and email. You can however make calls from your Apple Watch smartwatch when your iPhone is turned off.
6. How do I set up my watch for cellular connectivity?
You’ll be prompted to set up NumberShare when you first pair your Apple Watch smartwatch with your iPhone. If you decide not to set it up right away, you can always return to do it later through the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. View a step-by-step guide on how to set up your Apple Watch smartwatch for cellular connectivity at any time.
7. While trying to activate my Apple Watch, I received the following notification in my iPhone’s Watch app: “Bell does not currently support Apple Watch. Visit https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular for more information about Apple Watch cellular plans.” What do I do?
Bell does support LTE connectivity of the Apple Watch smartwatch. On your iPhone, you will need to update your Carrier Bundle to version 29.1 or newer. To do so, follow these steps:
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
- Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.
To see the version of carrier settings on your iPhone, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier.
Note: if you’ve recently inserted a new SIM card into your iPhone, you may need to update the carrier settings.
For more information on Apple’s carrier settings, visit: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201270
8. Can I still use my Apple Watch smartwatch if my iPhone is off or out of battery?
You can make and receive voice calls if your iPhone is turned off or out of battery. However, your iPhone must be turned on to send and receive text messages and email.